Publication - Advice and guidance
Coronavirus (COVID-19): face coverings and masks
Rules and guidance on wearing face coverings and masks, including exemptions.
Face covering exemption cards and downloads
Some people who have a disability or health condition may not be able to wear a face covering safely or comfortably.
If you are exempt under the law from wearing a face covering you don’t need to prove this.
If you are exempt, you should not be:
- forced to wear a face covering
- treated in an unacceptable way
- denied access to places where face coverings are required
If you cannot wear a face covering, you can get an exemption card. This card is designed to support people who are exempt to feel more confident and safer in places where face coverings are required.
To request an exemption card you:
- should check that you are exempt from wearing a face covering
- call 0800 121 6240, or
- go to the face covering exemption card service website where you can download a card to print off
- if you do not have access to a smartphone or a printer, please complete a physical card request form
We ask for people to be aware of the exemptions and to treat each other with kindness, especially when asking why someone is not wearing a face covering.