||The Grant family first came to
Britain from northern France during the Norman Conquests and by the
thirteenth century were settled in the Inverness area. They soon became
strongly associated with the Badenoch and Strathspey areas, an association
which has continued until the present day.
The Grants have been linked with Ballindalloch
since at least the fifteenth century, when records indicate that
King James IV (1488-1513) granted the estate to Patrick Grant. Different
branches of the family have held the estate since that time, and
Ballindalloch Castle, which dates from the sixteenth century, is
still occupied by members of the Macpherson-Grant family.
The castle and estate have arrived at their
current forms through additions and alterations carried out by succeeding
generations of Grants. A Grant of Rothiemurchus, General William
Grant, bought the estate from the descendants of Patrick Grant in
the early eighteenth century. In 1770, General James Grant inherited
the estate and this initiated a number of changes, including the
extension of the castle and the building of a stable range.
In the absence of family heirs, General
Grant bequeathed the estate to his nephew, George Macpherson of
Invereshie. In 1838, he changed his name to Sir George Macpherson-Grant
when he was created 1st Baronet of Ballindalloch. This event signalled
another substantial spate of building work, which included the construction
of lodges and cottages, as well as further additions to the castle.
The estate encompasses a number of farms,
the buildings of which date from the agricultural improvement period
of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. During this
time, farm buildings changed to reflect new methods of farming,
which included the introduction of lime as a fertiliser and the
laying-out of regular walled fields. Ballindalloch Estate is also
home to a herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle, which was first established
in 1860 by Sir George Macpherson Grant.