You are viewing an archived web page captured at 10:04:44 Apr 03, 2018, which is part of the National Records of Scotland Web Archive. The information on this web page may be out of date. See all captures of this archived page. Archived web pages you visit here may leave cookies in your browser. These are not owned, controlled, or used by NRS. NRS do use cookies, including Google Analytics, to monitor site usage and performance. These can be managed in your browser settings. Find out more about cookies.
Loading media information

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

Call us on 0800 377 7330

We take complaints about the following types of organisations in Scotland:

  • Colleges and universities
  • Health services (NHS)
  • Housing associations
  • Local authorities (councils)
  • Scottish Government & Devolved Administration organisations (including prisons)
  • Water providers

If your complaint is not about any of these types of organisations, here are some suggestions of organisations who may be able to look at your complaint:

Care Inspectorate (regulator of care, social work and child protection services) 0345 600 9527

Communications Ombudsman (eg phones and internet)

0330 440 1614

Energy Ombudsman (eg gas and electricity companies)

0330 440 1624

Financial Ombudsman (eg banks and insurance companies)

0800 023 4567

Information Commissioner’s Office (for concerns about data protection)

0131 244 9001

Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (for complaints about NHS England, and central government agencies including passports and DVLA)

0345 015 4033

Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (complaints about the police)

0808 178 5577

Property Ombudsman (eg estate agents and surveyors)

0330 440 1634

Scottish Information Commissioner (freedom of information)

01334 464 610


There are also organisations that can give advice to you:

Citizens Advice Consumer Service 0845 404 0506
Shelter Scotland (housing advice for all: whether about homelessness, renting, home-owner or other housing issue) 0808 800 4444


Contact us

  • Freephone adviceline 0800 377 7330
  • Online form http://www.spso.org.uk/online-contact
  • In person 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7NS (see a map)
  • By post Freepost SPSO (this is all you need to write on the envelope, and you don't need to use a stamp)
  • Fax 0800 377 7331

Read our accessibility information: accessibility

Need help finding information?

Updated: April 6, 2016