You are viewing an archived web page captured at 18:00:46 Jan 11, 2019, which is part of the National Records of Scotland Web Archive. The information on this web page may be out of date. See all captures of this archived page. Archived web pages you visit here may leave cookies in your browser. These are not owned, controlled, or used by NRS. NRS do use cookies, including Google Analytics, to monitor site usage and performance. These can be managed in your browser settings. Find out more about cookies.
Loading media information
Large Medium small Boundary Commission for Scotland Home Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland

Frequently Asked Questions - The Commission

Commission | Constituencies | GIS data | Electorate | Maps | Postcodes | UK Parliament | Technical

These Frequently Asked Questions provide information about us and our work. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for in the sections above, contact us using the details at the bottom left of each page.

What is the Boundary Commission for Scotland?
We are a public body which is responsible for determining UK Parliament constituency boundaries in Scotland. There's more information on the home page of this website.

What does the Commission do?
We review constituencies in Scotland for the UK Parliament. We make recommendations to the Secretary of State for Scotland, who is responsible for putting those recommendations into practice. Our job is defined by the law surrounding our work.

Who is on the Commission?
Our Chairman is the Speaker of the House of Commons. In practice, meetings are chaired by the Deputy Chairman who is a Judge of the Court of Session. There are two other Commissioners, and two Assessors who are the Registrar General for Scotland and the Director General of Ordnance Survey. There are details of our members on the website. We are supported by a Secretariat made up of a small number of staff. The website has contact details for us and our Secretariat at the bottom of each page.

Who funds the Boundary Commission for Scotland?
We are funded through the Scotland Office.

What about other parts of the United Kingdom?
We are only responsible for constituencies in Scotland. There are similar Commissions for England, for Wales and for Northern Ireland. There are links to the websites of each of those organisations on this website.

What is the address of your website?
Our website is www.bcomm-scotland.independent.gov.uk. We changed our website domain name from www.bcomm-scotland.gov.uk in summer 2012. The change was made in response to policy from Cabinet Office to reduce the number of government website domain names in use. The use of independent.gov.uk helps to clarify that we are a government-funded organisation but are independent of political considerations in our work. If you visit www.independent.gov.uk you will see a list of public bodies which are using the independent.gov.uk website domain name.

What's the Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland, and is it anything to do with you?
The Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland is a separate body which is responsible for reviewing electoral ward, local authority area boundaries for Scotland and since May 2017 Scottish Parliament boundaries. Full details are available on the Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland website. The Secretariat supports both Commissions, and so the address and phone numbers for both Commissions are the same.

How can I complain if I feel the Commission has not acted correctly?
If you have a complaint about our work, please discuss it with us. If after doing so you remain dissatisfied, you should ask your MP to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman which is the public body responsible for investigating complaints against public bodies answerable to the United Kingdom Parliament, including the Commission.

Commission | Constituencies | GIS data | Electorate | Maps | Postcodes | UK Parliament | Technical

Thistle House
91 Haymarket Terrace
Edinburgh, EH12 5HD
Phone: 0131 244 2001