Scottish schools may be able to get help with the travel costs of visiting heritage sites of national importance. The Scottish Government Heritage Education – School Visits Travel Subsidy can cover up to 75% of transport costs (up to £250) to visit the chosen site.
You can apply for a School Visits Travel Subsidy if visiting:
Any Scottish school can apply. Funding is limited, however, and priority will be given to schools in areas with high indicators of multiple deprivation (see Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation).
- the visit must be booked in advance and for a genuine educational purpose
- subsidy applications should be made before the visit
- all claims must be made by submitting invoices for travel costs within one month of the visit date
The subsidy is available all year round for the sites listed above. Travel costs will be reimbursed within 30 days of receipt of a valid claim.
How to apply
1. Make a provisional booking by contacting the site you wish to visit.
2. Get a quote for the travel costs (e.g. from a coach company).
3. Complete and return to us (by email or post) the travel subsidy application form.
Download the application form:
Travel Subsidy application form [PDF, 112KB]
Travel Subsidy application form [Word, 544KB]
Historic Environment Scotland
Holyrood Park Education Centre
1 Queen’s Drive
Telephone: 0131 652 8154