Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Last updated: 2 April 2020

If you rent your home, and you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but still can't afford your housing costs, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

A Discretionary Housing Payment can be made if you:

  • claim Housing Benefit but it doesn't cover all your rent
  • claim Universal Credit but still can't afford your housing costs
  • need help with removal costs
  • need help with a rent deposit

Your local council is responsible for deciding if you will get a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Visit your local council's website to find out:

  • if you're eligible
  • how to apply